Friday, December 12, 2008

The little Buddhist

Well, last night they tried to wean Baby Elena from being intubated (I think that's how you spell it). Although she came out the womb breathing on her own, that didn't last long. She had to get intubated with oxygen assistance. Her little unsteady lungs needed some help. So for the past 5 days she's been on tubes making progress little by little. At Columbia-Pres they try to get babies off intubation as soon as possible. The doctors liked her progress as of yesterday and said hey, let's take her off intubation and try nose prongs sending her oxygen.

Well Miss Elena has her own plans. She was unable to coordinate breathing, she just wouldn't keep her mouth closed, and retained too much C02, so, they re-intubated her.

This is a minor setback and I keep saying to myself, Elena and the universe have bigger plans for me I guess. I am in Buddhist bootcamp. I am learning to eliminate my carnal fears and let go. She is teaching me: rather than grope for an outcome, just know. Like Neo in the Matrix, "there is no spoon."

Things will get better.

2 comments:

  1. Things *will* get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes and all the strength in the world for you and baby Elena. I keep her and her family in my daily prayers, and I truly hope you are able to bring her home with you soon, fully healthy and full of life.

    ReplyDelete